Are you looking for a fun DIY project? Does someone you know need a place to park their car? Why not volunteer to be their carport designers! It’s fun, it’s easy, and it will bring out that hidden creativity in you. Don’t worry! We’re here to help. Here are a few tips for a beginning carport designers.
- Know what you will be using it for. Before starting your carport design, you should know what will be parked in there. A carport that will store a car will differ from a carport that will store a trailer. Will the carport be later converted to another use? Will the carport be a single or double carport?
- Make sure that you acquire the proper measurements. After knowing what will be stored in the carport, you can now acquire the right measurements of your carport. If you’re storing a boat, your carport has to be longer than the usual carport plan. If you’re storing an RV, you have to make sure your carport has higher ceilings to accommodate the vehicle. However, you should make sure to include allowances because you never know what you might need to store inside your carport in the future. Include space for a small car or a small workshop if possible. It is better to just add a couple of feet from the get go rather than having to rebuild your carport in the future.
- Plan the materials you will be using. There are different available materials that are used for building carports. As a carport designers, your designs can vary based on your chosen material. One material is metal which is very durable and cheap. Brackets connect to each other to make a solid structure. You can also try alumiwood, an aluminum product made to look like wood so that you can match it with the design of existing structures in your house. Wood is another popular product but it is generally more expensive and takes more maintenance work. Its advantage is that it can be built to the exact specifications easily.
- Take into account converting your carport for other uses. In creating a design take into account the future uses your carport may have. It may serve as a storage space instead. In some instances, carports have been converted into enclose patios. It is important to make sure that you should not make it difficult to convert the carport for other uses.
- Take into account the skill level of the carport designers building the carport. If you are hiring a contractor, make sure that they have the qualifications to install electricity and water as required. If you will be the one doing the work, make sure you acquire the proper permits and inform yourself of the electrical or building codes in your area. Also keep in mind your limitations when making a design.
See custom carports Melbourne here.